- Human Resources
- No comments
Presented by Raleigh Wake Human Resources Management Association (RWHRMA)
The Raleigh Chamber of Commerce is known for providing strong learning workshops and forums to its members and guests. On April 15th, INNOVA attended the HR Workshop on “Finding, Hiring, & Retaining Top-Tier Talent” and to no surprise, it was full of tips and techniques for maximizing your company’s most important resource.
The panelists emphasized that an HR Department can truly become a profit center when turnover is reduced, the selection process is refined, and corporate culture is reserved.
The Moderator was none other than Rod Frankel, President, Frankel Staffing Partners. Rod shared some research findings such as:
- There is a shift to a candidate’s market.
- Salary is on the rise.
- Employees are deciding to change jobs and look for opportunities.
- There are few qualifying candidates.
- Top-Tier candidates do not stay on market for long.
- Candidates are declining jobs if not a perfect fit.
- There is a change in the hiring landscape.
Based on these findings along with other researched data that was shared, Rod had the distinct pleasure of asking the panelists many questions. Below are a few of the questions and their responses.
Define Top-Tier Talent?
- Documented performance that adds value to top-line and bottom line, their past history and future success
- Performance proven success roles that drive growth both top and bottom line while managing organization effectiveness and high performance
- Individual historical high performance and cultural fit
What go to strategy do you use to find Top-Tier Talent?
- Smart Phone
- Communicator- Manager talking to internal top-tier employee for possible external candidates
- Job posting awareness – Top-tier performing at other organizations
- Reaching out to other people
- Who are you loosing deals too
- Talk to hiring manager to define internal critical success factors for company and for employees to be successful
- Networking because the bench strength needed is not within the company
- Employees are the best advocate
When seeking new talent how are you using internal and external resources?
- Use old fashioned method: networking, referral, internal network
- Craig’s List
- NC Bio Tech Job Board
- Social media is an effective way to find candidates- go where they go
- Employee referral
- Company website
- Note: Job boards are not as effective
- Online organization and associations
What stands out to help you narrow applicants to a short list for Top-Tier?
- Actionable items, results
- Relevant experience
- Presentation of resume (look, layout, time and effort to create the resume)
- Accuracy (no typo’s, proper grammar, details match)
- Skills and experience matches what job description stated
- Certification is applicable
- Able to see that you are accountable and subject matter expert
What do you do to ensure the newly hired Top-Tier will join your firm?
- Be prepared to answer and share what your value proposition is as to why they should join your company
- Call newly hired person
- Transparent of financial
- Eliminate fear
- Reward people
- Spot bonuses
- Profit sharing
- If you are the Best Place to Work, make that known
- Help them to understand the culture
- Provide challenges and opportunities for growth
- Ask the top-tier what are their expectations of their next job
What do you do the retain employees?
- Talk to your people and listen
- Find out from your tenure employees what makes them stay and replicate those factors
- Engage employee
- Understand your workforce accordingly (Millennial, Baby Boomers, etc.
Will Barfield, Sr. Director of Business Development & Sales Recruiter, Frankel Staffing Partners
Chuck Lotz, Sr. VP & Strategic Staffing Leader, First Citizens Bank
Molly Lukes, President of RWHRMA, Director of HR at Aerocrine
Rod Frankel, President, Frankel Staffing Partners
INNOVA Group is a business consulting firm, in business since 1986, specializing in Business Enterprise Leadership and Governance Improvement, Project/Process Training Certification, and Organization Development. http://www.innovagroup.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | 919-792-3968